Sunday, June 7, 2015

The importance of Family

I think today's theme was family. Since I have been here I have noticed that family is very important in their culture.  The closeness, the love. My house mamá has been so sweet, so loving. They call it cariño here in Spain. Ella es muy cariñoso. Probably one of my favorite words. It describes her perfectly.

I told her last night when I got home that I wanted to go to mass with her this morning.  She seemed SO excited about it, and told me that there was a celebration tomorrow at her son's house for her granddaughter's very belated cumpleaños.  I was nervous and excited at the same time because I knew I would enjoy it, but I also knew, it would probably be overwhelming since Mamá is one of 6 sisters, and most of them would be there, including the son and daughter-in-law who speak Spanish.

We went to mass at 10 in the morning. The mass was very beautiful.  I had a hard time understanding it because the priest speaks fast.  I have made it a goal to have the prayers down before I leave.  My favorite part of the mass was definitely the singing. Hearing all of the songs in Spanish was so beautiful <3. Those that know me well, know I don't drink, and also know why I don't drink...I haven't had a sip in almost a long time now, and a couple of days ;).  Anyways, I was a little worried about explaining to mamá why I don't drink and why I wasn't going to take the wine, but for whatever reason, the church didn't give the wine with eucharist and I didn't have to even begin to explain.


funny side note: MISA is mass in spanish. They can't pronounce the SH in Misha-- so everyone in the family calls me Misa. It's so cute, and cool. So basically I'm just...Mass. 

After mass we had churros con chocolate.  MUY BUENO. If you ever have a chance....when in Spain....try them. tan rico. MMMMM. Besides all of that, the best part of the day was sharing stories and time with mamá.  She told me about her late husband. I told her about my brother.  Every time I am amazed at how much I am learning and understanding and really able to communicate on such a deep level in Spanish.  I can communicate emotions, and feelings. It's nice to be able to share with someone who you care for.  I won't put mamá's personal business out there, but she was very moved by the death of my little brother...she really could only say "que horror"-- and what else could someone say.

After churros and chocolate we went on a mission to find a castrada for the celebration later this afternoon. We went to one of my house ma's favorite pastelerías because she knows the family very well.  We purchased the castrada and returned to the house to get ready for the family celebration.  We left the house around 130. I rode with mamá and 4 of her sister's to get to the party.  I'm not going to lie, it was a little intimidating, but it made me think of all of the time's my siblings and I get together and over power the conversation when we have one new person hanging out with the five of us.

Honestly, it made me love and appreciate the experience so much more. God definitely placed me in the right home.  A mama with a huge family, a big heart, and an understanding of loss and triumph.  Her family was a breath of fresh air.  We enjoyed VERY authentic paella amarilla y paella negra.  Gosh was it good, way better than the paella we got randomly a couple of nights ago.  I met her 4 sisters, her daughter-in-law, her son, her two nietas, the parents of her daughter-in-law, and her daughter-in-law's grandmother who has 103 years, and Pablo-- the little girls Tio. Pablo knows a good bit of English, and the girls do, too.  Of course I automatically gravitated to the girls being 8 and 10 ---and we played with water balloons, put together a doll house, and went to the park.  Pablo helped me with bridging the gap sometimes, and we both taught and quizzed the girls on their English.  That was a really fun game to play.  I kind of loved it .....A LOT.

Carolta y yo

Con mamá


<3 darling.

<3



new friends.




After playing in the park with the niñas we got back to realize that mamá had left with her sisters.  They wanted to get back for the procession de corpus cristi, so I caught a ride back with her other sister that stayed behind. I was planning on going to the festival but ended up meeting up with friends from the trip on Calle Mayor.   I spent some time with them and then after Logan and I were walking to eat at this restaurant I've been dying to try.  We got there to find the cops searching 3 people up against the side of the building.  We hung around until we found out why the 3 people were being searched. It seemed like they might have been smoking weed, or hash outside (which is illegal). I'll post pics.






The cops were a lot of fun to look at, but I was starting to get really hungry so we went to the restaurant....and don't judge....but I definitely ordered a cheeseburger..and it was the BEST CHEESEBURGER I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE. I MEAN IT. Sorry I was too busy scarfing it down to share a picture with you. It was huge, don't worry daddy, I didn't waste it..Logan ate half of it. ;)
chris through the glass.

After dinner we went to the plaza...and I got my flower for the day.  It was a really good day, and I was good in it.  I'm thankful for memories like the ones made today, all of them, big small, and I'm proud of myself...for never giving up, always staying positive, and always surrounding myself with people that do this when I have trouble doing it myself.

tercera flor. 

Today I learned:
How important family is here.
How big my mamá's heart really is.
That kids are cooler than adults in the states and in Spain, myself not included because i'm obviously a kid.

I love you all big time. Classes start tomorrow morning, so I need to get some sleep.


Buenas noches de españa.

xoxo

M.





1 comment:

  1. I had not read this post yet which is why you had told me new information over video chat, love you love the pics!

    ReplyDelete