Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hola a todos!

Estoy en España! :)

I am having trouble sleeping (probably the jet lag). I figured--- this is the best time to write my first blog sobre mi experience en extranjero! ;)

We arrived in Madrid on June 3 at 930 AM. You have to keep in mind we all suffered a 7 hour loss of time, plus our travel time was around 15 hours in total. We had an hour flight from Columbus to Atlanta, a 6 hour layover, and an 8 and a half hour flight to Madrid plus a loss of 7 hours because of time zone change.

The first day I dragged the entire time, but I didn't allow myself to take a nap because I knew I would pay for it later when I wasn't able to sleep that night.

Over all there are 40 students from Mississippi on this trip and 2 professors (who happen to be two of my favorites, but that's neither here nor there). I was told to try to surround myself with locals as much as possible if I really want to pick up on the language quickly and soak up as much as possible while I am here.

I met my mama española en La plaza de Cervantes. It's a beautiful plaza in the center of Alcalá that is dedicated to the author Miguel de Cervantes. (most know him for Don Quixote)-- He is from Alcalá. I never knew this until today.  My house ma is precious. I already feel as if I am a part of the family. She makes me breakfast in the morning and late lunch in the afternoons. I am on my own for dinner, but that's ok because it's easy to split a meal with friends and end up paying barely anything at all.

The first night 4 friends and I went to a bar and shared Tapas. Tapas are kind of like appetizers and some places you can get them free if you purchase a drink. We all purchased mineral waters and each tried a different tapa.  All of the food I've had so far is MUY BUENO especially the food of my mama! I love her cooking, but I think it made her sad that I had a hard time finishing the portions she gives me. I told her, "Yo como como un pájaro" -- I eat like a bird. She says that explains it and thought it was funny, too.  I think maybe now she will not feel offended, or perhaps fix smaller portions.

Today I woke up and went to Alcalingua to take a placement test. This is in order to ensure that we are all placed in classes that are at our level of speaking ability.  This is a great way for all of us to learn without getting overwhelmed and also to be in classes with students that are at the same level as us.

There are so many things to write about. I really will try to make an effort to type daily from this point forward because I don't want to miss out on anything!!


OH!! One REALLY funny story... My mama made fried chicken today to go with our soup for comida en la tarde. Her son brought out the plate and said "MIRA MISHA, KENTUCKY FRIED KITCHEN" --- ha ha ha It was the cutest and funniest thing EVER. Anyways, it's been a really great experience so far with the family. I have decided to do my best to blend in, which isn't hard, because apparently I look Spanish?? A lady told my friend and I this today. I want to be one with Spain and really get an authentic experience of what it is to live here on a day to day basis. I was even able to get a gym membership at one of the local gyms here in Alcalá. My mama's son brought me today along with a friend and it's just another way to make this place really feel like home for the next two months.


I have tried to soak up everything, from the language to the culture, and boy is it cool. My friend Logan and I decided to make it a goal to explore as much as possible. For me, that might mean getting out of my comfort zone every once and a while, but it's the best way to see the world. I try not to let fear hold me back from awesome discoveries today.


<3 Until next time,

Un salud,

xoxo


M.


1 comment:

  1. I love you, glad everything is well with you in Spain. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete